10 May 2010

Dangerous places

Out of all the places I have been over the years, I would like to argue that the most dangerous places are libraries. Countless scores upon scores of words and ideas, all pleading for one's attention and demanding to be aired at their whimsy and will... Shelves upon shelves of books, clamoring to be opened and read.

Amongst this cacophonous din, a philosopher (read: lover of wisdom) finds himself overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information and misinformation which barrage him upon his first step into the room. An uninformed mind would be too intimidated to discern that which is true. Even so, a well-informed mind is equally intimidated by the amount of knowledge present. It takes, however, a well-informed mind to understand that some of this knowledge is the Truth and that the rest of it is merely a shadowy attempt at realizing the Truth, but the originator of the knowledge was looking in the wrong direction and therefore misguides all who absorb and accept his "knowledge" as true.

...If any of this makes sense, I'll be thoroughly amazed. This is pretty much just word-vomit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are vomiting truths today. I hope your wisdom is holding out as you take your AP Physics test!

Love,
Mum

Marcus said...

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that Plato I see poking through the text?

Looking forward to future insights of the same keen kind.

philosopher said...

tell me about it! I WORK at a library! You wouldn't believe some of the idiotic stuff there is in a library, and how many weird people you encounter, both in books and out of them. (I've actually written a story about all the weirdness that happens at the library where I work!)