21 August 2009

You gotta fight! For your right! To be Caaaaatholic!

Forgive the Beastie Boys ripoff. My mom has been introducing Sistra and myself to music she likes.

This is a call to prayer! The Rochester diocese has been closing too many schools and churches lately. I can't count how many friends I have whose histories have been erased by the closing of their schools--especially since All Saints closed.

The East Greece/Charlotte Region Planning Committe (or whatever they call themselves) are considering cutting down on the number of Masses per week. This is undoubtedly going to deter people from going to Mass, not make them want to go more often! One of the things I find most excellent about being Catholic is telling my Protestant friends that I can go to Mass on Saturday night and it still "counts" (for lack of a better word). The Baptists, especially, are amazed by this.

Go to Mass every weekend and Holy Day. Say rosaries at home. And if you can't make Mass at your local parish, then go to another one! Research Mass times in the diocese. We've got to fill those pews!

Some time in the future, look for "Mass Hopping" posts. I am planning to, once I get my driver's license, go to as many Masses as I possibly can in one weekend. Call me crazy, but I want to be a body in the pew. I want to hear different takes on the Gospel, and I want to celebrate my faith as much as possible. And if I come home from a particularly inspiring Mass, rest assured that it will be out here.

If a planning committee "recommends" or "suggests" that your local school or church be closed, start writing letters. Write to the bishop, write to the Vatican--write to whomever you can think of. The Rochester diocese must be saved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the church hopping. I carried out my own little church hopping journey a few years ago. You'll see a lot of crazy liturgies out there, so brace yourself, and try not to get sucked in to those progressive Masses.

~Dr. K

The Well Done Review said...

Our Lady of Victory for the win!

erm...pun intended, i suppose