04 October 2009

They call it a Low Mass, but really it's Higher than most Masses in the diocese

Mum and I went to the Latin Mass at Saint Stanislaus today. It was absolutely wonderful.

I'll start from the beginning, since I'd never been to St. Stan's before. The church awed me upon my entrance... built in the style of an old, traditional cathedral (in the shape of a cross, very tall, and extremely ornate) and with amazingly detailed stained-glass windows. I liked the ceiling the best, though. It had stars on it. I like stars. However, next time I go there, I need to go all around the church and look to see if my patron saint is in one of the windows... I'm sure she is. Saint Elizabeth of Hungary--if anyone is a parishioner there (or just knows if she is there or not), could you comment in and tell me? I'm curious.

Oh, and I'm wondering about what looks like three tabernacles in the front of the church. Does anyone know the reason for those? They fascinated me.

Anyway! The organ was beautiful in all its near-symmetry (I couldn't help but turn around to look at it when I heard it)... though I had a bit of trouble following along in the Latin-English booklet. If the priest had used better diction, it may have been easier. People just don't understand the power of good diction, unless they're in theatre (in which case they must learn or fail). The "sermon," (as it was called in the booklet--I'm so used to calling it a homily!) was intriguing. It reminded me of one of the countless saint reports I've done over the years, except this one was on Saint Francis of Assisi. He was a pretty neat guy.

Overall, I really enjoyed Mass, though it was interesting to note that the congregation is much less involved. And I'd never received Communion on the tongue before (being very much post-Vatican-II and therefore raised in the tradition of receiving it in the hand).

More Notes:
--I need to get a chapel veil or a nice hat.
--Nobody wears short sleeves.
--Next time, I should wear a skirt instead of school pants... though my socks and tights were in the dirty clothes, so I was pretty desperate.
--I really, really want to just spend time in the church and explore all its artwork and architecture. It's beautiful.

Next on my list is to see when I can attend a High Mass. Ooh, and I wonder--does any community in the Rochester diocese do Mass entirely in Gregorian chant? That would be SO awesome.

2 comments:

The Well Done Review said...

Do you read Cleansing Fire? If not, here's info on the next High Mass at St. Stan's

http://cleansingfiredor.blogspot.com/2009/10/next-high-mass-st-stanislaus.html

http://cleansingfiredor.blogspot.com/2009/10/what-is-asperges.html

Both Bellarmine and I will be in attendance!

-Arialdus

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the CF plug, Arialdus!

"Oh, and I'm wondering about what looks like three tabernacles in the front of the church."

In olden days, most churches would have side altars with their own tabernacles. The Holy Mass could be offered at any of these altars. The main altar, or high altar (called such because it is centrally located, often raised, and with quite ornate reredos) is used most frequently for Sunday liturgies.

"though it was interesting to note that the congregation is much less involved."

This is a common misinterpretation of the Traditional Latin Mass. The participation in the older form of the Mass is more internal than external. There is no constant dialogue back and forth with the priest as one would find in the Novus Ordo Mass.

"And I'd never received Communion on the tongue before (being very much post-Vatican-II and therefore raised in the tradition of receiving it in the hand)."

I learned to receive in the hand too. However, I stopped after learning that Communion in the hand is really an indult, or local exception to the universal norm, which is to receive Communion on the tongue. Communion in the hand was first introduced without Vatican approval in Europe after the Council by those who wanted to receive in the same manner as Protestants, who rejected the Catholic idea of Communion on the tongue. Since the practice spread like wildfire, the Holy See eventually decided to allow this practice in those areas which had been disobedient and did this on their own.

"though I had a bit of trouble following along in the Latin-English booklet."

You'll catch on eventually. It took me a few tries to start getting it down. Practice makes perfect!

~Dr. K