09 May 2010

-insert witty blog-post-title here-

So! Mass yesterday was pretty nice, I guess. I got to explain to Fr. Sam why I wear my hat, and he thinks it's really neat that Sistra and I are bringing back the old custom of women covering their heads for church. I love explaining about my hat, it always makes me happy~

On the flip side, it seems that they still have not grasped the whole "laity cannot confer blessings" concept. At the end of Mass, all the mothers (or people in motherly roles, such as godmothers) were asked to stand, and the rest of the parishioners were asked to "extend their hands over them." Mum requested that none of our family follow suit. I love Mum. ^_^

Also, why were the altar servers standing for the Consecration...? The captain was a boy, about my age (actually, I think he's in my grade), and he was definitely not as into it as I usually am... See, I was considering quitting altar serving all together (and not being a substitute or anything) in protest of the crazy wymyn-priest-advocates, but then I feel uncomfortable leaving elementary school boys all alone up there... it's not the priests' job to keep them in line--he has to celebrate Mass. So I think I'll stay on the subs list and serve whenever I can and try to teach the little boys how to be reverent, so that when they're in middle and high school, there will be no need of people like me because they will understand, and pass it on to their younger counterparts. (Little anecdote: a couple months ago, I served captain with Sistra and another server...possibly Grace? my memory fails me... and we had a bunch of little, elementary-school boys who can't possibly have been any older than fifth grade. They were "shadowing" us, learning the ropes. It made me smile to see them, and by the time Mass was over, I had them bowing whenever they crossed in front of the tabernacle. ^_^ So cute, and so nice to see reverence. If that happens again, but with a different group, I'll be sure to fill them in ahead of time.)

One last question, in honour of Mother's Day today--anyone know if the mother superior of a convent celebrates Mother's Day...? I think they would...

Anyway. Happy Mother's Day to all mothers, grandmothers, godmothers, and motherly-figures out there! (Especially you, Mum. <3, Ink.)

((Also, feel free to use the comment box as suggestions for witty titles for this one.))

5 comments:

Gen said...

Mother Therese at the Carmelite Monastery would never decline a Mother's Day card, Ink. ;-)

The Well Done Review said...

Hey, at least the priest at MOS wore a chasuble today...not so where i went...*argh*

Anonymous said...

No, laity can not extend blessings. So stop saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes. You can't do it. And don't offer a Blessing Before Meals prayer - you're not allowed.

Ink said...

Anon: I applaud your elegant use of sarcasm, but would like to point out that, generally, in the context of the Mass, the priest gives blessings. After all, he is acting in persona Christi. (Love that phrase. It's so much fun to say.)

Anonymous said...

No offense to the Church in general, but I'd personally like to know why certain priests acting "in persona Christi" who should be setting wonderful examples for the world can get away with molestation without being ex-communicated.