27 May 2010

Chant Mass is my new love.

It really is. I'd intended to post about this on Sunday, right after I got home from it, but I got sidetracked raving about it to Gilbert... it really was fantastic.

Listening to chant makes it easier to follow along with the Tridentine Mass for me, since the words are usually a bit more decipherable. I will admit, though, I got somewhat lost in the posturing--it seemed like more than a Low Mass and less than a High Mass... a Middle Mass, maybe? Nonetheless, it was beautiful.

I'd been needing a trip back to Latin Mass at Saint Stanislaus, anyway--it tends to be my time for actual prayer, instead of for letting my mind wander about the diocese, wondering how it can be fixed... which is something I do fairly frequently, these days.

Does anyone know where I could contact the priest who said Mass? I would love to get a copy of his homily. It was wonderful.

5 comments:

In the choir loft said...

I was singing in the schola, so thank you for your nice comments. The Mass you attended is referred to as a Missa Cantata, which is Latin for "sung Mass". There is not as much ritual in the Missa Cantata, as opposed to a High Mass (more ritual) and Solemn High Mass (even more ritual). We deferred to the priest, Father Gerard McMahon (lives at HOly Spirit in Penfield). Father has some medical concerns, so it was decided to keep the ritual to a minimum.
However, we are having our last High Mass of the choir season on June 6th, the Feast of Corpus Christi. In addition to the Asperges, we will have chant propers using psalm tones, full choir, a procession of the MOst Blessed Sacrament and then Benediction. I hope you can make it and bring Gilbert. Was he named after Gilbert K. Chesterton?

The Well Done Review said...

did your sisters come along too this week? I thought i caught sight of a young girl with a small headcovering...was that Princess?

-Arialdus

Ink said...

Choir loft: He is, in fact, named for Gilbert K. Chesterton--without this friend, I wouldn't be reading Mr. Chesterton's work. I think that weekend is busy for me, though, I'm afraid... I'd love to go.

Review: Princess had a hat. Grace had the veil-type thing which Mum (and I) affectionately refer to as a doily. It was the whole family, actually... we're sort of hard to miss.

The Well Done Review said...

I thought i recognized people from outside a previous latin mass

incidentally, check your...new...email if you catch my drift

Ink said...

Choir Loft: I am planning to attend the High Mass on Sunday if at all possible. I'm afraid Gilbert will not be able to attend, since he does not live in the area. Perhaps once the season starts back up again?